Thursday, April 10, 2014

SOMD (Phase II) Week 1

Well, it seems I am back at Youth With A Mission!

(And by "seems," of course this means I am back at the Denver base.)

It feels strange moving back here. While the basic setup is the same, many variables have changed. Hence, life is an odd mix of the familiar and the unfamiliar.

The first week in a YWAM program typically involves lots of ice breakers, meet n' greets, and "mixers," as my sister would call them, to encourage new relationships to form.

As an introvert, I've, naturally, spent a lot of time reading in my room. ;)

But I am trusting it will get easier, and I am confident that I will make new friends in time. 

So far, my favorite "group bonding" activity was a Scavenger Hunt with my classmates. My team won, and we all received $5 gift cards to Starbucks! (Score!)


(That's us, winning.)

This particular training program that I'm enrolled in reminds me the most of college, out of all the YWAM schools I've done. The course itself involves a lot of reading, some quizzes, and public speaking.

I'm excited for an opportunity to hone my skills and to apply them to ministry opportunities both now and in the future.

As for week one, we spent a lot of time reviewing teachings on worship, intercession, and fundraising, as these are all integral aspects of YWAM life. 

One thing I took away from our initial teaching on worship is that God reveals Himself through how He's made us. Because we were formed in His image, we reflect aspects of His character.

Similarly, we were made relational because God Himself is a relational being.

And so, we reflect the character of God when we are simply ourselves, as He created us to be.

Living and relating well can even be considered a form of worship.

I know these concepts may seem elementary to some, but it is good to be reminded of simple truths in order to re-find our footing from time to time.

And so, in the Name of Jesus, and for the sake of His glory, this season at YWAM Denver, I'ma do me.

And I hope, you learn to do you, as He's designed you, too.

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

-Psalms 139:13-14


(Another Scavenger Hunt photo. We are..um..seeking more knowledge and to bear fruit? Haha this is NOT an open door for an Apple vs. PC debate!)


No comments:

Post a Comment