Saturday, April 19, 2014

Refined by fire

Week 3 at School of Ministry Development just wrapped up, and dang, was this a heavy week! Our speaker, Doug Toller, addressed the "pitfalls" one encounters in both life and ministry.

We spent extensive time learning about Biblical characters who suffered various trials and also learned a great deal from our speaker's personal experiences as a pastor. While there are many joys to be found in ministry, there can be many hardships, too.

But we also learned about how God uses various trials and sufferings to teach us perseverance and to develop our character. Being under a state of pressure or stress is rarely fun, but it is in fact true that these times shape us more than comfortable situations.

The teaching reminded me of when I studied voice in college. One week, I told my vocal instructor that I felt crazy stressed and anxious and she told me, "Good."

She not only told me that being stressed is good and challenges one to grow, she also compared such a process to a caterpillar. In order to become a full-fledged butterfly, the caterpillar must first confront the darkness of transforming in its cocoon.

At our small group meeting on Friday, we painted with watercolors to process what The Lord revealed to us this past week, and I reflected on how I have grown as a result of the challenges He's enabled me to overcome. Here's what I came up with:


While I know I still face some staggering challenges, I know my God will never leave me, nor forsake me. And so, as I continue to stay true and to seek Him in all things, including my sufferings, I know He will continue to refine my character and set me free from the ashes left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment