Monday, May 5, 2014

A minister's actual job..

Last week was our fifth week in the School of Ministry Development. It's crazy to think this much time has passed already and yet there is still so much more to learn before graduation in June!

The teaching topic was Ministry Methods and Biblical Counseling. This of course is quite different from psychological counseling, and so we were given the opportunity to identify various issues that might come up in ministry and how to allow the Holy Spirit to address them.

We talked about things like sin issues, ungodly beliefs that impact our perceptions of God, past hurts and wounds, and demonic influence. We were also given a few "tools" to lean on when coming across any of these issues.

But better than any "tool" is the power of the Holy Spirit to minister to anyone in any given situation. There are things we can do as people to identify issues in our own hearts and lives, but really it is impossible to truly be delivered from sin, hurt, brokenness, or disbelief apart from Jesus.

For example, when I was in my Discipleship Training School back in 2012 (oh, so very long ago), I identified an area of unforgiveness in my life that I had forgotten was there. But until I actually prayed aloud for Jesus to forgive me of my bitterness and cried out for healing, the root stayed there in my heart, affecting my whole life. 

It's just the same for all of us. Trying to overcome sin and be healed by our own strength never fully works. But inviting Christ into these pains and struggles brings freedom from this bondage.

Shifting focus: SOMD students are privileged with planning and leading various activities and times around the base. Last Friday, I got to lead our small group time.

We went up to the Red Rocks Amphitheater to get some reflection time outside of our normal space. As we drove through the mountains, we were all amazed at how much we forget the beauty we live in here in Colorado. Here's a couple photos from our drive:



As we were reflecting, I wrote a short poem about how we often treat ourselves. I haven't fully decided if I'm going to change it, but I wanted to share it, as I often process best through writing songs and articles, etc. 

Anyway, it might be a bold image, but if this resonates with anyone, please let me know. I'd love to pray with and for you.

No one else can make me love me
My matter matters
  soul, spirit, and body
If you be a rebel, lay down your arms
Dreams be extensions and 
  hope does no harm

Fighting yourself is a fruitless affair
True judgement stems from one's own
  harsh stare
You are the rebel,
  The prosecutor,
  The soldier
Which one will shoot first?

Here's the trigger -
  you're the holder

Often I beat myself up far more than I should. We have a standard to live be, yes, but at the end of the day, Christ's blood is all-sufficient.

So if you find yourself in this same boat, please remember to hold onto hope. For while we wrestle all day long with ourselves, Jesus already overcame the world. Don't forget that He can overcome your pain, sorrow, sin, and brokenness, too!

Sorry if this is a bit heavy. To finish off, here's a picture of an adorable small group at an amazing amphitheater. :)


Next time, I'll write on the cost of discipleship. Until then, don't lose hope in God.

No comments:

Post a Comment